Green design strategies that promote energy efficiency, create healthy indoor environments, and provide long-term value are central to our design approach. MDS has a wide range of experience designing renovations and new buildings that meet Architecture 2030 targets and LEED certification requirements, support institutional, municipal and state performance standards, and advance our clients’ broader sustainability goals.
Led by MDS Director of Sustainable Design, Nereyda Rodriguez, RA, LEED AP BD+C, our interdisciplinary team of architects, planners and interior designers identify energy-efficient design strategies, technologies and opportunities at the earliest stages of conceptual thinking. We look for unified and efficient solutions that respond to each project’s unique environmental context and program objectives.
As an adopter of the Architecture 2030 Challenge, MDS is engaged in the continual evolution of energy-efficient design and best practices. In addition to monitoring energy consumption statistics on our projects, the firm also sponsors educational opportunities for staff to promote knowledge on energy-efficient design strategies, technologies and materials.
Examples of our LEED and Collaborative for High Performance Schools (CHPS) experience include:
- Kennedy Campus Center Renovation and Expansion, Massachusetts College of Art and Design, LEED-Gold
- Lower School Classroom Building, Perkins School for the Blind, LEED Gold; CHPS
- Fariborz Maseeh Residence Hall Renovation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, LEED-Gold
- Administration Building Renovation, Worcester State University, LEED-Gold
- Yawkey Center for Cancer Care, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, LEED-Gold
- Microbiology and Immunobiology Laboratory Renovation, Harvard Medical School, LEED Gold
- Nock-Molin School Renovation, Newburyport, LEED-Gold
- Dana Building Transformation, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, LEED-Silver
- Blanchard Campus Center Renovation and Expansion, Mount Holyoke College, LEED-Certified
- Lithgow Building Renovation, Codman Academy Charter Public School, LEED Gold certification pending
- External Education Department Offices Renovation, Harvard Institutes of Medicine 4th Floor, Harvard Medical School, LEED Gold certification pending
- El-Hefni Allied Health and Technology Center, Northern Essex Community College, LEED Silver certification pending
- Braintree East Middle School Renovation and Expansion, Town of Braintree, targeting LEED Silver certification