Learning Commons + Maker Space
As modalities of teaching and learning have evolved since its 2003 school opened, Gann Academy identified the creation of a Learning Commons and Maker Space as a priority to better align its facilities with its educational mission. Gann engaged MDS to study options for adapting existing spaces to create a new hub for learning, research, multimedia exploration, and community engagement.
Our concept study explores the creation of open and closed learning and study spaces, innovation lab, library/media center, digital design lab, studio art room, learning support services facility, and other spaces to support interrelated activities. The new facilities seek to:
- Foster multiple modalities of teaching and learning — from class work and group work to quiet individual study;
- Facilitate fluid movement between research, discussion, ideation and creation;
- Seamlessly integrate support into learning;
- Make learning visible and celebrate Gann Academy’s core skills;
- Be a comfortable and stimulating environment that teachers and students want to be in.